Om Namah Shivaya

Om Namah Shivaya

I'll be grateful if you...

Sep 23, 2011

TALKING POINT: On the death Anniversary (23rd Sept) of An Amazing Poet - Pablo Neruda


Today, 23rd September is death anniversary of an amazing poet Pablo Neruda - In 1971 Neruda won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Colombian novelist Gabriel García Márquez once called him "the greatest poet of the 20th century in any language." Neruda always wrote in green ink as it was his personal color of hope. The poetry below is the most fitting tribute to this great writer...

Oh Earth, wait for me
__________________
From: ‘Memorial de Isla Negra’

Turn me oh sun
towards my native destiny,
rain from the ancient forest,
return to me the fragrance and the swords
that fall from the sky,
the solitary peace of field and rock,
the moisture at the margins of the river,
the scent of the larch,
the wind, alive like a heart
beating among the remote flock
of the great araucaria.

Earth, return to me your pure gifts
the towers of silence that rose
from the solemnity of their roots:
I want to return to being what I have not been,
learn to return from such depths
that amongst all the things of nature
I could live or not live: no matter
to be one more stone, the dark stone,
the pure stone that is carried by the river.

__________________________________
Pablo Neruda
(July 12, 1904 – September 23, 1973)

"A poet", Neruda stated in his Stockholm speech of acceptance of the Nobel Prize, "is at the same time a force for solidarity and for solitude."

Poetry text and translation from http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Spanish/Neruda.htm#_Toc12957989

Here is one of his interesting and beautiful verse called "Body of a Woman". This verse as one of the writer said, is an introductory text to the poetry of desire.





Body of a woman
_________________
Body of a woman, white hills, white thighs,
You look like a world, lying in surrender
My rough peasant's body digs in you
And makes the son leap from the depth of the earth

I was alone like a tunnel. The birds fled from me,
And night swamped me with its crushing invasion.
To survive myself I forged you like a weapon,
Like an arrow in my bow, a stone in my sling

...

Body of my woman, I will persist in your grace.
My thirst, my boundless desire, my shifting road!
Dark river-beds where the eternal thirst flows
And weariness follows, and the infinite ache.
________________
Pablo Neruda
Translated by W S Merwin

The image is from the walls of the famous sun temple "Konark" on the shores of Puri - India.


Text and Image Source WikiPedia
_________________
नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya

2 comments:

  1. I never knew he wrote in green ink. How beautiful.

    You've shared two great ones, the first one green so green.

    I turn to Neruda often for guidance and inspiration.

    Thank you for marking this day so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful commentary, Shashi--thanks for sharing this. I remember my father favoring green ink too.

    I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award--enjoy!
    http://bodhirose.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/the-versatile-blogger-award-2/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and it will be a great pleasure to know what you think of this post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...