Om Namah Shivaya

Om Namah Shivaya

I'll be grateful if you...

Oct 26, 2011

STILL LIFE: Festival of lights - Diwali 2011

Blessings from Rishikesh Sivananda Ashram
on Diwali 2011

Wish you all have a prosperous and happy Diwali. May Goddess Laxmi smile on you and give you health, wealth and wisdom.

I am sharing in this post some powerful spiritual energy sources in India associated with Goddess Durga and Laxmi, that has made a strong impression on me. Sharing  also some of my impressions of Diwali from past year... But before that, let me introduce my friends from abroad to this important festival of light...

What is this Festival of Light?
Deepavali or Diwali, popularly known as the "festival of lights," is a festival celebrated between mid-October and mid-November for different reasons. For Hindus, Diwali is one of the most important festivals of the year and is celebrated in families by performing traditional activities together in their homes. For Jains, Diwali marks the attainment of moksha or nirvana by Mahavira in 527 BC.
Deepavali is an official holiday in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Mauritius, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Malaysia, Singapore, and Fiji.
Welcoming Goddess Laxmi with colorful Rangoli
The name "Diwali" is a contraction of "Deepavali" (Sanskrit: दीपावली Dīpāvalī), which translates into "row of lamps" Diwali involves the lighting of small clay lamps (diyas or dīpas) in Sanskrit: दीप) filled with oil to signify the triumph of good over evil. During Diwali, all the celebrants wear new clothes and share sweets and snacks with family members and friends.

Text from Wikipedia click here to read more...
_____________________________________________

Now come and walk with me to some great places, that has left a deep spiritual impression on me and shaped my thoughts and beliefs over the years...

Durga Temple in Village

From my childhood the ancestral Durga Temple, in my country house, has been part of my growing up. (If you notice, part of this image graces the top of my blog too)



kalka Ji Temple

Growing up with four brothers, when my father moved to Delhi, Kalka Ji Temple has been our daily 'morning walk' destination. As our school was near the temple, Kalka Ji has been our destination for various ups and downs in our life, either to pray or to ask for something and Kalka Mai has always provided us with a path if not the answer. Kalka Ji has been source of inspiration for all of us for decades....

Vaishno Devi
Vaishno Devi in Jammu (Northern state of India) is one of the most powerful temple of Durga Ji, which I came to visit in my college days... My first trip to Vaishnav Devi in 1982, has been a mile stone in my belief system. The trek to the temple is amazing and needs to be experienced...
During my professional life, I came across many other powerful temples Laxmi and Durga... some of them are here...


Chottanikara Bhagwati Temple in Kerala

Meenakshi Temple - Madurai

Dakhshineshwar Temple - Kolkata
The Dakshineshwar Temple in Kolkata has been an important source of change in thinking within me spiritually as well as mentally. This temple is the place from where Ramakrishna Paramhansa, the priest of Dakshineshwar Temple at that time, spread indian spirituality and religious belief throughout the world by his very learned and knowledgeable disciples ... like Swami Vivekanada, Paramahansa Yogananda (Writer of 'Autobiography of Yogi' which I recommend to every one as the first step to knowing Indian Spiritual and Religious philosophy)  ... If you like you can read more about this temple and actually have a virtual tour to this beautiful source of spiritual energy... check my post here...

Now below are some of the holy places in India that has attracted me in my life and I keep visiting them almost every year...

Diwali and Aarti at Varanasi on the banks of Ganges

Durga Ji on the banks of River Ganges at Haridwar

Kali Ji on the bank of river Ganges - Rishikesh
As this journey comes to an end, I leave you with some impression of Diwali celebrations from last year...

Gang of Four - Ready to have a blast on Diwali...
Diwali @ 2010

And the blast...
Diwali @ 2010

Finally I leave you with lamp of lights from the temple in Rishikesh at the foothills of Himalaya... which is known as Dev Bhoomi (Land of Gods) and some, including me consider it as spiritual capital of the world..




Festival of Lights - Rishikesh @ 2010

May Goddess Laxmi bless you with health, Wealth and Wisdom this year on the occasion of Festival of Lights - Diwali @ 2011


_____________

ॐ नमः शिवाय 

Om Namah Shivaya



PREV                                        HOME                                        NEXT
Tata IndiBlogger Meet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and it will be a great pleasure to know what you think of this post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...